Asteron Life Complaints Handling Process

If you have a complaint about your insurance or the service we've provided (including our obligations under the Life Insurance Code of Practice) or if you are experiencing financial hardship, please contact us to let us know of your concerns using the steps described below. We take your feedback seriously and will do all we can to resolve any issues as quickly as possible.

Step 1. Contact our Customer Service team

If you would like to make a complaint, please let us know by contacting the relevant Asteron department as they may be able to resolve the complaint for you. If not, the staff member will refer you to a Manager or their delegate and they will attempt to resolve the complaint. 

The relevant department has five (5) business days to attempt to resolve your complaint.

You can also contact our customer service team on the Life Customer Service details on our Contact Us section and listed below:
Telephone: 1800 221 727 / 02 8275 3999
In writing to: Customer Service Team, GPO Box 68, Sydney NSW 2001   

Step 2. Contact our Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) Team

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the business review under Step 1, you can request the complaint be referred to the IDR Team for review or you can contact the IDR team directly. You can contact the IDR Team by using the Contact Information below.

Telephone: 1800 221 727 / 02 8275 3999

In writing to: Internal Dispute Resolution Team, GPO Box 5380, Sydney NSW 2001

The IDR team will acknowledge your complaint within 48 hours of receiving it. If additional information is required from you, we will contact you to discuss. We will assign a dedicated and independent IDR Specialist to review your complaint who will keep you informed throughout the process.

We will attempt to resolve your complaint within 45 or 90 calendar days (where the life insurance policy is owned by a superannuation fund trustee) of receiving your complaint. 

If this is possible, we will inform you of:

  1. our final decision in relation to your complaint and the reasons for that decision in writing;
  2. your right to access copies of the documents and information we relied on in assessing your complaint; and
  3. that you may have a right to take your complaint to an external dispute resolution body if your complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction and their contact details.

If we are unable to resolve your complaint within that period, we will inform you of the reasons for the delay and let you know when we expect to provide a response to your complaint. If you are unhappy with the delay, you can take your complaint to an external dispute resolution body.

Step 3. Contact an External Dispute Resolution (EDR) Organisation

If an issue has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you can lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). AFCA provides fair and independent financial services complaint resolution that is free to consumers.  You may access any other external dispute resolution options that may be available to you.

AFCA has authority to review certain complaints. AFCA’s contact details are 
Telephone: 1800 931 678 (free call) 
In writing to: Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne VIC 3001

Time limits may apply to complaints to AFCA. You may wish to consult the AFCA website or contact AFCA directly to find out if there is a time limit on lodging a complaint with AFCA.

Do you need assistance to make a complaint?

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment you may like to use the National Relay Service

The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) provides interpreting services to people who do not speak English and to agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients. TIS National can be contacted on 131450.

Can someone else make a complaint on my behalf?

Yes. To protect your privacy, you will need to give us your written confirmation that you authorise another person to assist you with your complaint. You can amend or withdraw this authorisation at any time.